Using USC Email Lookup with Pine
This document contains directions on how to configure Pine to use USC's LDAP email lookup server, gds.usc.edu.
Setting Up a New Directory Service
- From the Main menu, type S for setup.
- In the next menu you see, type D for Directory setup. (ldap/gds)
- On the next page, type A to add a directory service and begin filling in the following settings. Select each setting using the up and down arrow keys, and type C to change each setting.
- For ldap-server: enter gds.usc.edu.
- For Search-base: enter dc=usc,dc=edu.
- For Port number: enter 389.
- For nickname enter USC_Directory_Service.
- Type E to exit setup. The program will prompt you to commit your changes. Press Yto commit your changes, and you should be returned to the Setup Directory Servers menu. Type E again to exit setup.
- Now you can select USC Directory Server from the Address Book List. From the Pine main menu, typeA to access the address book list.
- Using your arrow keys, select USC_Directory_Service and press enter. The program will prompt you to type in a search string. At this time you can type a partial name to search the directory. Once you have typed your search string, press the enter key to begin your search. Your results will be displayed in a list. Using the arrow keys, you can select the entry that best matches your search and apply any of the Pine commands listed at the bottom of the Pine screen.
If you have questions about these settings, please contact the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
February 03, 2011