Setting Up Thunderbird (Windows) for USC Email
This document will help you configure Thunderbird for Windows to work with your USC email account.
Thunderbird is a full-featured email program that also offers RSS and newsgroup services. For additional information about Thunderbird or to download the latest version of Thunderbird for Windows, please visit the Thunderbird website at www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird.
Using the Import Wizard
If you wish to migrate settings or messages from another email program, such as Outlook, Eudora or Outlook Express you may do so by selecting appropriate options in the Import Wizard. The wizard gives you the option to import settings and messages from your previous email program.
- Double-click the Thunderbird icon.
- Click Tools and then Import.
- Select Mail from the options to import only your mail or Import Everything to import your mail, address book, settings and filters and click Next.
- Select what type of file (Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, etc) you wish to import and click Next to automatically import your information.
- To finishing setting up your account manually, select Cancel.
Setting Up a New Account
When you launch Thunderbird for the first time, the Migration Assistant will launch. If you have previously set up Thunderbird on your computer, the Migration Assistant will automatically detect your account and set it up for you. ITS recommends that you go through the steps below to ensure that your account is configured properly.
To configure Thunderbird for your USC email account:
- Open Thunderbird and go to the Tools menu and select Account Settings.
- Click the Account Actions pulldown menu and choose Add Mail Account.
- Enter your name and email address and then click Continue.
- By default Thunderbird will attempt to automatically find mail server settings.
- Click Manual Config to enter the settings manually.
- In the Incoming: section of the Mail Account Setup window, choose IMAP from the pull-down menu.
- In the Server hostname field of the Incoming section, enter email.usc.edu.
- From the Port pull-down menu in the Incoming section, choose 993.
- From the SSL pull-down menu in the Incoming section, choose SSL/TLS.
- From the Authentication pull-down menu in the Incoming section, choose Autodetect.
- From the Server hostname pull-down menu in the Outgoing: section, choose email.usc.edu:587 (default).
- In the Username
- Click Re-test to verify that the settings entered are correct.
- Click Done to finish.
Checking Your Email
To check for new email, launch Thunderbird and it will ask you for your password (unless you asked Password Manager to remember it). After you type in your password, you should see your new email in your Inbox displayed in bold.
- If you are already running Thunderbird, click Get Mail.
- You can also click on the File menu, then select Get New Mail For and then select the email account you want to check.
Composing and Sending Email
To write and send a message, click Write on the toolbar, or click the File menu, select New, and then Message. Both of these functions will bring up a Compose message window.
- In the To: field, type the recipient's email address. You can enter multiple addresses by separating each address with a comma.
- In the Subject: field, type a brief description of your message.
- After completing the To: and Subject: fields, type your message in the space below. When you are finished, click Send.
Thunderbird has online help guides to assist you with its additional features. To find it look under the Help menu or visit the Thunderbird project website at www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird.
If you have any questions or need assistance configuring Thunderbird, please contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or email email@example.com.