Setting Up Microsoft Entourage for Use with Google Apps at USC
This page provides instructions for configuring Microsoft Entourage to use with your Google Apps at USC email account.
Email Systems at USC
There are several email systems currently in use at USC. To ensure you are accessing the correct information for your email system, see our Email Overview page for complete descriptions of and documentation links to these email systems. You may also click the links below to directly access documentation on USC’s other email systems.
Setting Up IMAP Access
You will need to enable IMAP or POP access on your Google Apps at USC email account in order to check your email through Microsoft Entourage. ITS strongly recommends the use of the IMAP protocol and provides configuration documentation for that protocol only. For information about POP3 and IMAP, see the IMAP and POP Comparison page.
To set up IMAP access, follow the instructions below.
- Go to google.usc.edu and click Gmail.
- Click Settings at the top the Gmail page.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Choose Enable IMAP in the IMAP Access section.
- Click Save Changes.
Setting Up an Account
To set up your Google Apps at USC email account, follow the steps below.
- Launch Entourage.
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- In the Accounts window, click the New button and select Mail
- If an Account Setup Assistant window pops up, select the Configure account manually option. The New Account window will open.
- In the New Account window, select IMAP for the Account Type and click OK.
- Note:The default is set to POP.
- Enter the following information in the Edit Account window:
- In the Account name field, enter a name you can recognize (e.g., USC Google Apps).
- In the Name field, enter your name, as you wish for it to appear on outgoing messages.
- In the Email address field, enter your USC email address. Your email address should be in the format: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Account ID field, enter your login name. This should be the same as your email address, including the @usc.edu suffix.
- In the IMAP server, enter imap.gmail.com
- You may save your Google password by entering it in the Password field and selecting the check box marked Save password.
- In the SMTP server field, enter smtp.gmail.com
- To configure TLS authentication (required to send email through your Google Apps at USC account), click the Click here for advanced sending options button. The Advanced SMTP window will appear.
- Select the SMTP service requires secure connection (SSL) box.
- Select the SMTP server requires authentication box.
- Select the Use same settings as receiving mail server button.
- To close the window, click Close box in the upper left-hand corner of the Advanced SMTP Settings window.
- Click OK and close the Accounts window.
The Edit Account window will appear.
Note: It is recommended that you do not save your password if multiple people have access to your computer.
Your account in Entourage is now configured and ready to be used.
Subscribing to Existing Mail Folders
When you check your email for the first time, you may notice that some of your mail folders are not listed. If this is the case, you will need to subscribe to the folders you wish to see listed.
- Under the Folders column on the left-hand side of the Entourage window, right-click your account. From the menu that appears, select Receive Complete Folder List. All folders on the server will be listed on the right-hand side.
- On the right-hand side, select the folders you want to subscribe to and then click the Subscribe button in the toolbar.
Entourage offers a rudimentary help system that can be accessed by selecting Entourage Help from the Help menu.
September 30, 2013