Setting Up Outlook 2003 for Use with Google Apps at USC
This page provides instructions for setting up Outlook 2003 for use with your Google Apps at USC email account.
You will need to enable IMAP or POP access on your Google Apps at USC email account in order to check your email through Outlook 2003. ITS strongly recommends the use of the IMAP protocol and provides configuration documentation for that protocol only. For information about POP3 and IMAP, see the IMAP and POP Comparison page.
Setting Up IMAP Access
- Go to google.usc.edu and click Gmail.
- Click Settings at the top the Gmail page.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Choose Enable IMAP in the IMAP Access section.
- Click Save Changes.
Creating a New Account
If you are running Outlook 2003 for the first time, Outlook will launch the New Account wizard. The steps below assume that you are not running your Outlook program for the first time. If you are, you can use the information provided below to work with the wizard.
To create a new email account, perform the following steps:
- In Outlook, select Email Accounts from the Tools menu.
- In the Email Accounts window, select Add a new e-mail account and click Next.
- In the Server Type window, select IMAP and press Next.
- The Internet E-mail Settings (IMAP) window will open. In the Your Name text box, enter your name as you want it to appear in outgoing messages (for example, Tommy Trojan).
- In the Email Address box, enter your USC email address (for example, email@example.com). Outlook will automatically fill in a value in the User Name box. Make certain that the username field contains your full USC email address.
- In the Incoming mail server box, enter imap.gmail.com.
- In the Outgoing mail server box, enter smtp.gmail.com.
- Click the More Settings button, followed by the Advanced tab. Place a check in the IMAP and SMTP boxes labeled This server requires a secure connection (SSL).
- Under Server Port Numbers, make sure that Incoming server (IMAP) is set to 993 and that Outgoing server (SMTP) is set to 587.
- Click the Outgoing Server tab. Place a check in the box labeled My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Select the option Use same settings as my incoming e-mail server, then click OK.
- Click the Next button, then Finish to close the Email Accounts window.
NOTE: You will need to enter your Google password in order to check your Google Apps at USC email.
Subscribing to IMAP Folders
If you have stored email in IMAP folders other than your Inbox, you may need to subscribe to them in order for Outlook to display them.
- From the Outlook Tools menu, select IMAP Folders.
- Click Query to display a list of the IMAP folders available in your email account.
- The IMAP folders to which you are currently subscribed will have a small folder-envelope icon next to them. To subscribe to a folder, highlight the name on the list and click Subscribe. To unsubscribe from an IMAP folder, click Unsubscribe.
Click OK to save your subscription changes and close the IMAP Folders window.
Creating New IMAP Folders
To create a new IMAP folder:
- From the Outlook File menu, select Folder and then New Folder.
- In the Create New Folder window, enter a name for the new folder, and specify the location of the new folder.
Note: IMAP folders display alphabetically under the account they belong to. Creating a folder under Personal Folders will create a local folder (e.g., stored on your machine, not on the email system).