Setting Up Outlook 2011 for Mac for Use with Google Apps at USC
This page provides instructions for setting up Outlook 2011 for Mac for use with your Google Apps at USC email account.
You will need to enable IMAP or POP access on your Google Apps at USC email account in order to check your email through Outlook 2011 for Mac. ITS strongly recommends the use of the IMAP protocol and provides configuration documentation for that protocol only. For information about POP3 and IMAP, see the IMAP and POP Comparison page.
Setting Up IMAP Access
- Go to google.usc.edu and click Gmail.
- Click Settings at the top the Gmail page.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Choose Enable IMAP in the IMAP Access section.
- Click Save Changes.
Creating a New Account
If you are running Outlook 2011 for Mac for the first time, Outlook will launch the New Account wizard. The steps below assume that you are not running your Outlook program for the first time. If you are, you can use the information provided below to work with the wizard.
To add a new account in Outlook 2011 (Mac):
- Launch Outlook 2011 (Mac).
- From the Tools menu, select Accounts.
- In the Accounts window, click the E-mail Account button.
- In the Enter your account information window, type your USC email address in the E-mail address: field. Leave the Password field blank.
- Press Enter and the Enter your account information window will expand,
- In the User name: field, type your full USC email address (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- From the Type pulldown menu, choose IMAP.
- In the Incoming server: field, enter imap.gmail.com.
- Check the box next to Use SSL to connect (recommended).
- In the Outgoing server: field, enter smtp.gmail.com.
- Check the box next to Override default port and Use SSL to connect (recommended).
- In the small box next to the outgoing server information, make certain that the outgoing port is set to 465.
- Click Add Account.
- On the next screen that appears, click More Options under the Outgoing Server: section.
- Choose Use Incoming Server Info from the Authentication drop-down menu and then click OK.
- Click OK to finish the account set up.
NOTE: You will need to enter your Google password in order to check your Google Apps at USC email.