Reporting Missed Spam
In the event that you receive a message that should have been caught by IronPort AntiSpam, you can report the message so that ITS and IronPort can improve the IronPort spam filters. If possible, ITS will make adjustments to the system so that future messages of similar content do not pass through the system.
To report a missed spam message, you can simply forward the message to firstname.lastname@example.org as long as it meets the following criteria:
- The spam is being reported within 24 hours of when it was received in your email account.
- The spam is sent to ITS as an RFC-822 MIME encoded attachment. See below for more information.
- The message is not a message sent by a legitimate USC organization.
- To ensure the spam is reported properly, please use either the USC Web Mail client or your preferred email client to send the message to email@example.com.
Note: Missed spam messages sent to any ITS email address other than firstname.lastname@example.org or messages sent that do not meet the above requirements will be immediately discarded without being examined. After you have sent the message there is nothing more you need to do. ITS does not send confirmation of receipt but will examine the message with IronPort and make changes if needed.
Reporting Missed Spam with the USC Web Mail ClientITS recommends that users who wish to report spam do so through the USC Web Mail interface located at https://email.usc.edu, as this is the easiest way to make sure we receive the message in the properly formatted way.
- Log into USC Web Mail (https://email.usc.edu).
- Open the spam message you wish to report.
- Click the Forward button at the top of the window.
- Enter the address email@example.com into the To field and click the Send button at the bottom.
Reporting Missed Spam with Other Email Clients
In order to report missed spam with any other email client, visit either of the links below to find instructions for your specific client.
If you have questions about reporting missed spam, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555.