Connecting to ResNet - Windows 7
ResNet, USC's residential network, provides users with network connectivity in residence halls, Leavey Library and some academic buildings.
To gain access to ResNet, you'll need to configure you network connection and register your computer on the network.
Follow the steps below to complete the setup:
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel Locate the "View by:" drop-down menu and choose Large icons.
- Locate and click Network and Sharing Center.
- From the left tasks list, select Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click Local Area Connection and click Properties. If you have not yet correctly configured your Ethernet card, you will not see a Local Area Connection icon.
- From User Account Control window, Click Continue to authorize the changes you want to make.
- In the This connection uses the following items: box, make sure that Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4) is the only item checked.
- If Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4) is not listed, you will need to install it.
- Click Install.
- Click Protocol then Add.
- Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4). Then click OK.
- Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, make certain that Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are chosen and then click the Advanced button.
- Click the DNS tab.
- Click Append these DNS suffixes (in order). Click Add.
- Type usc.edu. Then click Add.
- Type hsc.usc.edu. Then click Add.
- In the DNS suffix for this connection box, type usc.edu.
- Uncheck the option marked Register this connection's addresses in DNS.
- Click the WINS tab.
- Make sure that Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected.
- Click OK to close the Advanced TCP/IPv4 Settings window.
- Click OK to close the Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4) Properties window.
- Click OK to close the Local Area Connection Properties window.
You can now plug your computer into a ResNet jack. In most ResNet wired dorms or apartments there is one phone jack and one ResNet jack for each resident. Phone jacks are labeled PHONE and ResNet jacks are labeled NET.
Then open a web browser application (i.e., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari). You should be automatically taken to the Registering for ResNet web page Registering for ResNet form. Enter your USC username and password and click submit. A success message will appear to notify you that your MAC address/Ethernet address has been registered. You are now ready to use ResNet.
To get help with your ResNet Connection, contact Housing Maintenance at: 213-740-4646.