Connecting to ResNet - Windows XP
ResNet, USC's residential network, provides users with network connectivity in residence halls, Leavey Library and some academic buildings.
To gain access to ResNet, you'll need to configure you network connection and register your computer on the network.
Follow the steps below to complete the setup:
- From the Start menu, select Control Panel then Network Connections.
- Right-click Local Area Connection and click Properties. If you have not yet correctly configured your Ethernet card, you will not see a Local Area Connection icon.
- Make sure that Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is the only item checked.
- If Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is not listed, you will need to install it.
- Click Install.
- From the Select Network Component Type window, click Protocol then Add.
- Under Network Protocol, click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Then click OK
Registering Your MAC Address/Physical Address
You can now plug your computer into a ResNet jack. In most ResNet wired dorms or apartments there is one phone jack and one ResNet jack for each resident. Phone jacks are labeled PHONE and ResNet jacks are labeled NET.
Then open a web browser application (i.e., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari). You should be automatically taken to the Registering for ResNet web page Registering for ResNet form. Enter your USC username and password and click submit. A success message will appear to notify you that your MAC address/Ethernet address has been registered. You are now ready to use ResNet.
To get help with your ResNet Connection, contact Housing Maintenance at: 213-740-4646
February 03, 2011