What is SIS?
The Student Information System (SIS) is a computer system that manages a range of information about USC students. Authorized USC staff members can use SIS to view, update, and report on student records. The system also provides necessary information to several other computer systems at the university.
Viewing Student Information
To look up and view information about students, you will need to use SIS display processes (identifiable by a “D” in the process codes-- i.e., SIS.D.PROFILE). Please note that you will not be able to make any changes to information using display processes.
You can use display processes to view various types of information, including:
- Student enrollment information
- Activity restrictions
- Class rosters
- Test scores
- Financial detail of a student's account
- Student addresses
- Grade information
Updating Student Records
To update student records, you will need to use SIS update processes. A "U" in the middle of the process code indicates that the record can be updated (i.e., RNR.U.SPEC.STUDENT).
You can use update processes to make changes to various types of records, including:
- Giving departmental clearances (D-Clearances)
- Giving a prerequisite exemption
- Clearing activity restrictions
- Correcting student addresses
- Printing class rosters
- Schedulung classes for your department
- Clearing advisement holds
- Processing inquiries by prospective students
- Admitting students to graduate programs
Accessing Student Reports
To access and print student reports, you will need to use SIS report processes. An "R" in the middle of the process code indicates that this is a report (i.e.: RNR.R.SECT.SUMM).
You can use report processes to access and print many types of reports, including:
- Undergraduate or graduate students' credit statement reports
- STARS reports
- Section summary reports of classes scheduled for your academic department
- Registration confirmation
Unless your department has a designated system printer, all reports that you run will print out in the ITS Production Control office. You cannot pick up your reports, as the ITS offices are not accessible to the public. There will be one morning and one afternoon delivery of reports; small reports can be faxed, on request. Call Production Control at 213-740-5862 if you have any questions.
Other Systems that Work in Conjunction with SIS
The Student Information System works in conjunction with a variety of other university computer systems to serve the needs of our administrative and academic departments. Other systems that work in conjunction with SIS and are administered by the Student Information System department include:
- Web Registration
- The Online Academic Student Information System (OASIS)
- The Online Academic Student Information System (OASIS) for Advisors
- Schedule of Classes
Some computer systems work in conjunction with SIS, but are administered by other departments. These include:
- AIS C (Payroll)
- Curriculum Management System (CMS)
- Grading and Roster System (GRS)