Connecting to USC Wireless using Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger)
You can gain wireless access to the USC Network from most outdoor common areas, libraries, auditoriums, on campus eateries and the University Village Food Court.
For access locations, see the USC Wireless Coverage map.
Please note that the USC Wireless network is an open network. All traffic is transmitted in plain text with no encryption. Use caution when deciding what information to send over the network. For added security and access to USC IP protected resources, please use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
Follow the steps below to configure your computer for the USC wireless network:
- Under the Apple menu, select System Preferences
- Click Network.
- If the settings appear to be grayed out, you need to authorize yourself as an Administrator. Click the Lock image at the bottom left corner of the Network preferences window.
- In the Authenticate dialog box, enter an administrator username and password. If you are not an Administrator of the machine, you need to have the administrator of the machine unlock the Network preferences for you.
- Under the Location dropdown menu, select New Location.
- Name your new location USC Wireless and click OK.
- Under the Show dropdown menu, select Network Port Configurations
- Uncheck all ports other than Airport.
- Drag AirPort to the top of the list.
- Click Apply Now.
- Under Show, select Airport.
- Click the TCP/IP tab.
- Under the Configure dropdown menu, select Using DHCP .
- Click the AirPort tab.
- Under the By default, join dropdown menu, select Preferred networks.
- Click the + button.
- In the Network Name field type USC Wireless.
- Under the Wireless Security dropdown menu, select None.
- Click the OK button to return to the Preferred networks options.
- Select Show AirPort status in menu bar.
- Click the Apply Now button in the lower right hand of the Network preferences window.
- Close the System Preferences window.
Once you've successfully unlocked the Network preferences, they become active. You can now continue with the configuration.
Registration of your MAC, or physical address, is not currently required. However, registration is highly recommended so that network notifications can be quickly directed to you. Open a web browser application (i.e., Safari, or Firefox). You should be automatically taken to the Network Registration page . Enter your USC username and password and click Submit. A success message will appear to notify you that your MAC address/Physical address has been registered.
WARNING: Your data and personal information are at risk unless you use VPN Software. ITS strongly recommends that you use VPN when using your wireless connection.
To get help with wireless access to the USC Network, contact the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.