Connecting to USC Wireless using Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
You can gain wireless access to the USC Network from most outdoor common areas, libraries, auditoriums, on campus eateries and the University Village Food Court.
For access locations, see the USC Wireless Coverage map.
Please note that the USC Wireless network is an open network. All traffic is transmitted in plain text with no encryption. Use caution when deciding what information to send over the network. For added security and access to USC IP protected resources, please use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client.
Follow the steps below to configure your computer for the USC wireless network:
- Under the Apple menu, select System Preferences. In the System Preferences window, click Network.
- Click the Lock image at the bottom left corner of the Network Preferences window to unlock your settings.
In the Authentication dialog box, enter an administrator username and password. If you are not an administrator of the machine, you need to have the administrator of the machine unlock the Network preferences for you.
- Under the Location dropdown menu, select Edit Locations. Click the + sign to add a new location.
- Name your new location USC Wireless and click Done.
- On the left side of your screen, click Airport.
- Click Advanced.
- Click the TCP/IP tab.
- Under the Configure IPv4 dropdown menu, select Using DHCP.
- Click the AirPort tab.
- Under the Preferred networks dialog box, click +.
- In the Network Name field type USC Wireless.
- Under the Wireless Security dropdown menu, select None.
- Click the Add button to return to the Preferred networks options.
- Click OK to return to the Network Preferences window.
- Click the Apply button in the lower right hand side of the Network Preferences window.
The Network preferences panel will appear. If the settings are grayed out, you will need to authorize yourself as an administrator.
Once you have successfully unlocked the Network preferences, they become active. You can now continue with the configuration.
To get help with wireless access to the USC Network, contact the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.