Connecting to USC Wireless using Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)
This page will explain how to connect a computer running Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) to USC Wireless.
For access locations, see the USC Wireless Coverage map.
Please note that the USC Wireless network is an open network. Guest users can connect without entering a USC username and password. Because USC wireless is an open network, ITS recommends using USC’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) software to protect personal information when using this network. For more information, see www.usc.edu/its/vpn.
- Under the Apple menu, select System Preferences. In the System Preferences window, click Network.
- The Network preferences panel will appear. If the settings are grayed out, you will need to authorize yourself as an administrator. Click the Lock image at the bottom left corner of the Network Preferences window to unlock your settings.
In the Authentication dialog box, enter an administrator username and password. If you are not an administrator of the machine, you need to have the administrator of the machine unlock the Network preferences for you.
- Under the Location dropdown menu, select Edit Locations. Click the + sign to add a new location.
- Name your new location USC Wireless and click Done.
- On the left side of your screen, click Wi-Fi.
- Click Advanced.
- Click the TCP/IP tab. Under the Configure IPv4 dropdown menu, select Using DHCP.
- Click the Wi-Fi tab.Under the Preferred Networks dialog box, click +.
- In the Network Name field type USC Wireless.
- Under the Wireless Security dropdown menu, select None.
- Click OK to return to the Preferred Networks options.
- Click OK to return to the Network Preferences window.
- Click the Apply button in the lower right hand side of the Network Preferences window.
- Click Turn Wi-Fi On to connect to USC Wireless.
Once you have successfully unlocked the Network preferences, they become active. You can now continue with the configuration.
To get help with wireless access to the USC Network, contact the Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 30, 2013