Connecting to USC Wireless using Windows XP
This page will explain how to connect a computer running Windows XP to USC Wireless.
For access locations, see the USC Wireless Coverage map.
Please note that the USC Wireless network is an open network. Guest users can connect without entering a USC username and password. Because USC wireless is an open network, ITS recommends using USC’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) software to protect personal information when using this network. For more information, see www.usc.edu/its/vpn.
NOTE: You must be running Windows XP, Service Pack 3 to connect to the USC Wireless network. To determine which service pack you have installed for Windows, refer to Determining your Windows XP Service Pack.
- Click Start and select Control Panel. Click Network Connections.
- Right-click the Wireless Network Connection icon and click Properties.
- Click to highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) component and then click Properties.
Make sure that Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically are both selected as shown above.
- From the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window, click Advanced.
- Click the DNS tab.
- Select Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes.
- Select Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix.
- Make sure that Register this connection's addresses in DNS and Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration are both unchecked.
- Click the WINS tab.
- Verify that Enable LMHOSTS lookup is checked.
- Make sure that Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected.
- Click the OK button to close the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window.
- Click the OK button to close the TCP/IP Properties window.
- Click the Wireless Networks tab at the top of the Wireless Network Connection Properties window.
- Make sure Use Windows to configure my network settings is checked.
- In the section labeled Preferred Networks, click Add.
- In the Network Name (SSID) field, type
USC Wireless, it is case sensitive.
- Verify Network Authentication is Open and Data Encryption is Disabled. Click OK to close this window.
- Click the Advanced button and verify that the Access Point (infrastructure) networks only option is selected. Click Close.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click the Settings... button and verify Windows Firewall is set to On (recommended).
- Click OK to close the Windows Firewall menu and click close to exit the Wireless Network Connection Properties window.
To get help with wireless access to the USC Network, contact the Customer Support Center at (213) 740-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
July 30, 2013