In 1847 at Fort Moore, which was on a hill overlooking the city (and is where the Board of Education is now located), a powder magazine exploded, killing 4 men. They were apparently buried within the post as was the custom -- and is probably the reason why a cemetery developed there. Within a relatively short time there were separate burial areas for masons, Chinese, and other groups. By 1871 there were approximately 600 graves on Fort Hill.
From approximately 1858 to 1861 there was another cemetery, perhaps called "America Cemetery" in the area of Flower and Figueroa near 9th Street.Very little is known about it, other than its approximate years of existence, and that there was a legal suit at one point which apparently ended its role as a cemetery.
There were several other burial sites within the city: a Jewish cemetery, perhaps with the name "Home of Peace" began in 1854 on what has been described as reservoir land, apparently in Elysian Park where the Armory is located. In 1902 the Home of Peace Cemetery opened, and the remains were transferred to that new cemetery. There was a potter's field for the indigent in Elysian Park, but the dates are unknown.
The Los Angeles City Council outlawed burials within the city in 1879, except for the use of plots already purchased. With the development of Evergreen and Rosedale cemeteries there really was no need to utilize the older burial grounds; furthermore, health concerns and the general poor condition of the public cemeteries contributed to their demise.
When a cemetery was closed, unfortunately, that did not necessarily mean that all of the bodies were exhumed and buried elsewhere. In many cases streets, buildings, and, later, parking lots were constructed over the area with little regard for what had been there. The result was frequent discovery of remains when there was an excavation where a cemetery had been.