Rosedale Cemetery was established in 1884, just seven years after
Evergreen Cemetery, the city's oldest extant cemetery. It is located at
1831 W. Washington Boulevard and is now called Angeles-Rosedale Cemetery.|
Located next to it at 1605 South Catalina Street, is the Chapel of the Pines, a domed structure that looks like an observatory.It is the oldest crematorium in Los Angeles, having been established in 1903.
Among the pioneers buried here are Phineas Banning, who established the Wilmington Cemetery but who later had a residence in the Adams Boulevard district.
Among the notables interred here are Andy Razaf, John C. Fremont, Anna May Wong, Hattie McDaniel, and Art Tatum.
The cemetery also has several pyramid crypts, which almost seem out of place with the more traditional structures.