Report a problem
Established in 1890 as a partisan political newspaper to promote Lewis Wolfley, the territorial governor. It struggled financially for the first few years. In 1896, it was purchased by Frank Murphy, a railroad president, mining executive, and Phoenix developer. He hired Charles C. Randolph, editor of the New York Times Washington Bureau, who gave the paper new life and brought the beginnings of modern journalism to Arizona.
View databases in related topics: