- Increase our capacity to deliver, evaluate, and improve reference services.
- Define the role of and implement appropriate technology in our public-use and learning spaces.
- Explore mobile and other innovative web technologies and apply
them to appropriate library services and resources.
- Enhance our digital collections and multimedia resources to provide greater access and more thorough integration with teaching and research.
- Further develop digital exhibitions based on our collections to support public programming and advancement.
- Evaluate and improve overall collection management, emphasizing availability and accessibility of materials.
- Increase promotion of our collections, spaces, and services to students, scholars, and researchers.
Integration with our Community
- Secure increased funding for library faculty, staff, and collections
that support USC teaching and research priorities.
- Develop an information-literacy program, such as a semester-long
course, certificate program, or re-establishment of USC's master's
degree in library science.
- Improve workflow for managing the review and processing of gifts.
- Develop a library research and grant-seeking agenda.
- Improve outreach to new USC faculty, students, and staff, with
an emphasis on new members of the USC community before they
arrive at the university.
- Create new academic and cultural programs—that communicate
the essential qualities of library collections, services, and
personnel—in partnership with groups on campus and other
relevant partner organizations.
- Encourage development of research programs between the USC
Libraries and USC faculty and departments.
- Evaluate document-delivery services and determine necessary
levels of support, including staffing and office space.
The Intellectual and Physical Environment
- Determine the level of resources necessary to support digitization,
technical services, and special collections activities.
- Identify and review selected library facilities and develop proposals for
improving the use of space to serve our community more effectively.
- Evaluate and increase—where appropriate—responsibility for training,
hiring, and budgeting at the unit level.
- Improve customer-service training for student workers.
- Improve internal communication in the USC Libraries and encourage
interdepartmental knowledge exchange.