Inventory of the Mrs. Philip D. Terry, Jr. collection on Civil War/Naval Operations
Table of Contents
- USC Libraries Special Collections
- Terry, Philip D., Jr., Mrs.
- Mrs. Philip D. Terry, Jr. collection on Civil War/Naval Operations
- Collection no.
- circa 1860s-1870s
- 1.0 Linear feet, 1 box
- Letters, documents, testimony regarding Capt. John S. McMillin, his command of the Union steamer "Silver Wave" during the Civil War, and his steam capstan patent.
[Box/folder# or item name], Mrs. Philip D. Terry, Jr. collection on Civil War/Naval Operations, Collection no. 0003, Special Collections, USC Libraries, University of Southern California
Scope and Contents
Letters, documents, testimony regarding Capt. John S. McMillin, his command of the Union steamer "Silver Wave" during the Civil War, and his steam capstan patent.
USC Libraries Special Collections
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles, California, 90089-0189
Finding aid edited and updated by Sue Luftschein, January 2011
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Controlled Access Headings
- Silver Wave (Transport ship). -- Archives
- Legal documents
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Archival resources
- McMillin, John S.
- Capstan--United States--History--19th century--Archival resources
- Patents--United States--History--19th century--Archival resources
- Sea control--History--19th century--Archival resources
Letters of reference and testimony in behalf of Captain John S. McMillin.
War orders to the steamer Silver Wave, Capt. J.S. McMillin, commander. 32 items.
Petitions for reimbursement for services by and repairs to the Silver Wave.
U.S. Patent Office documents relative to J.S. McMillin's "Improvement in applying steam power to the capstan of steamboats..." 1866-1867
Court decrees, briefs, injunction, etc. relative to infringements of steam capstan patent
Correspondence re steam capstan patent. Feb. 7, 1876- Feb.12, 1876