Finding aid of the Southern California Rapid Transit District records
Table of Contents
Finding aid prepared by Rebecca Hirsch, 2010
Collection processing and creation of the finding aid was funded by the generous support of the National Historic Publications and Records Commission.
- USC Libraries Special Collections
- Topping, Norman, 1908-
- Southern California Rapid Transit District records
- Collection no.
- Date [inclusive]
- 2.25 Linear feet, 2 boxes
- This collection contains the files kept by Dr. Norman Topping for part of the time he served on the Board of Directors of the Southern California Rapid Transit District. Topping was the president of USC from 1958-1970. His files on the SCRTD include correspondence, publications, minutes, and maps documenting the agency's operations in the second half of the 1960s.
[Box/folder# or item name], Southern California Rapid Transit District records, Collection no. 0026, Regional History Collections, Special Collections, USC Libraries, University of Southern California.
The Southern California Rapid Transit District (SCRTD) was formed in 1964 by the California State Legislature. Its mandate was to plan, construct, operate, and otherwise provide most of the public transportation for Los Angeles County (excluding the Antelope Valley, most of the Angeles National Forest, and the offshore islands). The SCRTD was governed by a Board of Directors that had eleven members.
Dr. Norman Topping, the president of USC from 1958-1970, served on the board of the SCRTD and was its president for a number of terms. The papers in this collection are his records from the years 1966-1969, which saw the preparation of the District's first report regarding the construction and operation of a system of mass transit in Los Angeles County.
Scope and Content
This collection contains the records kept by Dr. Norman Topping that pertain to his activities as a member of the Southern California Rapid Transit District's Board of Directors. These records include correspondence, publications, financial records, meeting minutes, and agendas and maps and architectural renderings of proposed and actual transportation infrastructure.
This collection is arranged in reverse chronological order based on the date on the "received" stamp on the documents. The Preliminary Report, dated October 1967, and the Final Report, dated May 1968, are either at the end of the last box of the collection or in a flat file. See the collection inventory for further location information.
USC Libraries Special Collections
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles, California, 90089-0189
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access. Consult finding aid for additional information.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection contains published articles; researchers are reminded of the copyright restrictions imposed by publishers on reusing their articles and parts of books. It is the responsibility of researchers to acquire permission from publishers when reusing such materials. The copyright to unpublished materials belongs to the heirs of the writers. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Controlled Access Headings
- Southern California Rapid Transit District. -- Archives
- Agendas (administrative records)
- Financial records
- California, Southern--History--Archival resources
- Topping, Norman, 1908- -- Archives
- Highway planning--California, Southern--Archival resources
- Local transit--California, Southern--Archival resources
- Transportation--California, Southern--Planning--Archival resources
Preliminary Report 1967 October