Finding aid for the June and Gilbert Krueger collection of Civil War letters
Table of Contents
Finding aid prepared by Sue Luftschein, 2011 November
- USC Libraries Special Collections
- Beebe, Charles L.
- Drake, Zachary L.
- Obriham, Charles J.
- Obriham, Edwin C.
- Obriham, Frank W.
- Obriham, Harlow H.
- June and Gilbert Krueger collection of Civil War letters
- Collection no.
- 1861-1886, undated (bulk 1861-1865)
- 0.42 Linear feet, 1 box
- The collection consists chiefly of letters addressed to Lovina Obriham of Freeport, Winneshiek County, Iowa, from her brothers, Edwin C., Charles J., Frank W., and Harlow H. Obriham, her cousin and future husband, Chales L. Beebe, and other Union soldiers serving with the 9th Iowa Volunteers and other units; written from Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina, the letters deal largely with camp life, troop movements, and military engagements, with some mention of the siege of Vicksburg and the march on Savannah.
[Box/folder# or item name], June and Gilbert Krueger collection of Civil War letters, Collection no. 0167, Special Collections, USC Libraries, University of Southern California
The Obriham family resided in lived in Freeport, Winneshiek County, Iowa. Charles, Frank, and Henry served in the 38th Iowa Infantry, mustered into service on November 4, 1862 in Dubuque, and mustered out of service August 15, 1865 in Houston, Texas. Charles died on June 20, 1863 in Decorah, Iowa; Henry on June 13, 1863 in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Edwin Obriham served in the 9th Iowa Infantry, mustered into service on June 10, 1861 at Keokuk, Iowa and mustered out of service at Louisville, Kentucky on July 12, 1865. Charles L. Beebe married Lovina Obriham in 1866.
Scope and Content
The June and Gilbert Krueger collection of Civil War letters consists of 86 letters, 2 postcards, 1 note, 4 clippings, and one program, dated 1861-1886. The letters were written by members of the Obriham extended family--brothers Charles J., Edwin C., Frank W., and Harlow H., cousin Charles L. Beebe, and friend Zachary L. Drake. The majority are addressed to Lovina Obriham, sister of Charles, Edwin, Frank, and Harlow. The letters were written from Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and deal largely with camp life, troop movements, and military engagements, with some mention of the siege of Vicksburg and the march on Savannah. Of particular interest ar the letters from Edwin Obriham and Charles Beebe; they are the most numerous and thus give the most comprehensive picture of these soldiers' experiences in the Civil War. Almost all of them were present at the Battle of Vicksburg, and Edwin's letters describe the scene in some detail. Charles's letters are more detailed than any of the others, describing in more personal terms the food, marches, and general conditions of soldiers in the Union Army. The collection also includes letters to Lovina from female relatives, and letters to and from other cousins and friends.
USC Libraries Special Collections
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles, California, 90089-0189
Conditions Governing Access
Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Gift of June Krueger, 1960, 1966.
Controlled Access Headings
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Archival resources
- Beebe, Charles L. -- Correspondence
- Drake, Zachary L. -- Correspondence
- Krueger, June -- Archives
- Obriham, Charles J. -- Correspondence
- Obriham, Edwin C. -- Correspondence
- Obriham, Frank W. -- Correspondence
- Obriham, Harlow H. -- Correspondence
- Obriham, Lovina -- Correspondence
- Soldiers--United States--19th century--Archival resources
Beebe, Charles L. 1861 January-1863 March 9 letters
Beebe, Charles L. 1863 April-December 6 letters
Beebe, Charles L. 1864 April-1865 December 8 letters
Drake, Zachary L. 1861 October-December 3 letters
Obriham, Charles J. 1862 September-1863 March 5 letters
Obriham, Edwin C. 1861 November-1862 October 10 letters
Obriham, Edwin C. 1862 November-1863 May 10 letters, 1 note
Obriham, Edwin C. 1863 June-September 7 letters
Obriham, Edwin C. 1864 April-1865 May 8 letters
Obriham, Frank W. 1863 March-1865 January 8 letters
Obriham, Harlow H. 1862 January-1863 March, undated 4 letters
Miscellaneous letters 1862 July-1863 August 6 letters
Scope and Content
Unsigned letter to Lovina Obriham; letters to Lovina from Emmaline Knight, Sylvester Robinson; letter to Lidy (Lydia Beebe?) from George Culver; letter to "cousin" (Lovina?) from Sophia.
Miscellaneous letters 1864 July-1886 July 4 letters, 2 postcards
Scope and Content
Letter from M.M. (Malinda) Beebe to Lovina Obriham; Mary Beebe to Abby Beebe; Marcy Culver to Abby Beebe; and Rusha to Abby Beebe.
Ulysses S. Grant Memorial program 1885 August 8
Clippings--songs and poems undated