Finding aid for the Edana Romney papers
Table of Contents
Finding aid prepared by Sue Luftschein, 2013 June
- USC Libraries Special Collections
- Romney, Edana, 1919-2002
- Edana Romney papers
- Collection no.
- Date [bulk]
- Bulk, 1978-1985
- Date [inclusive]
- 7.0 linear ft., 10 boxes
- The Edana Romney papers consists almost exclusively of Ms. Romney's research materials for her unproduced screenplay on the life of Sir Richard Burton. Included are journals, notebooks, photocopies of the script at various stages of completion, audiotapes, and correspondence, as well as realia and ephemera, and some personal materials. Edana Romney was born Edna Rubinstein in Johannesburg, South Africa.
[Box/folder# or item name], Edana Romney papers, Collection no. 0256, Special Collections, USC Libraries, University of Southern California
Edana Romney was born Edna Rubinstein in Johannesburg, South Africa March 15, 1919. She was trained as a dancer and made her stage debut in Johannesburg in 1930. She then went on to study at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts from 1935 to 1936. She was a member of the BBC Drama Repertory Company. She spent much of the latter part of her life working on the script for her film on Sir Richard Burton, which was bought by Sir Richard Attenborough, but the film was never made. She also became a celebrated Hollywood hostess, famous for her Twelfth Night celebrations. She died on December 17, 2002.
Scope and Content
The Edana Romney papers consists almost exclusively of Ms. Romney's research materials for her unproduced screenplay on the life of Sir Richard Burton. Included are journals, notebooks, photocopies of the script at various stages of completion, audiotapes, and correspondence. Also included are realia and ephemera collected by Ms. Romney, most of which reflect the life and times of Burton. In addition, there are some personal materials (a scrapbook documenting Ms. Romney's early career as a dancer, invitations and programs from 1980s Hollywood events).
USC Libraries Special Collections
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles, California, 90089-0189
Conditions Governing Access
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE. Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Donated by the Edana Romney Trust in 2004.
Controlled Access Headings
- Attenborough, Richard -- Correspondence
- Burton, Richard Francis, 1821-1890 -- Archives
- Romney, Edana, 1919-2002 -- Archives
- Motion picture authorship--California--Los Angeles--Archival resources
- Screenwriters--California--Los Angeles--Archival resources
Correspondence, notes, contract
Journals and daybooks 1978-1986
Scripts and drafts
Notebooks of ideas and clippings
Edna Rubenstein scrapbook 1925-1934
Personal material 1980s
Audiotapes of meetings and interviews
Realia and ephemera