Finding aid for the Volunteer Center of Los Angeles records
Table of Contents
Finding aid prepared by Sue Luftschein, 2011 May
- USC Libraries Special Collections
- Los Angeles Voluntary Action Center.
- Volunteer Center of Los Angeles.
- Volunteer Center of Los Angeles records
- Collection no.
- Date [inclusive]
- 0.63 linear ft., 2 boxes
- The Volunteer Center of Los Angeles records consist of reports, minutes, pamphlets, surveys, correspondence, newsletters, and clippings, 1981-1986, that describe the day to day activities of this organization. Included are minutes of board and annual meetings, annual reports, and surveys of board member activities.
[Box/folder# or item name], Volunteer Center of Los Angeles records, Collection no. 0458, California Social Welfare Archives, Special Collections, USC Libraries, University of Southern California
Volunteer bureaus were founded as projects of the Junior Leagues during the 1940s as placement centers for volunteers in war effort activities and social services. Most of these projects continued services after the was as agencies. In Los Angeles, the Volunteer Center was founded as the Volunteer Bureau of Los Angeles in 1946 as a three year project of the Junior League. In 1949, it changed its name to the Los Angeles Voluntary Action Center and was administered as a division of the Welfare Planning Council. In 1960 it became an independently incorporated non-profit agency affiliated with the United Way, and in 1982 its name changed once again to the Volunteer Center of Los Angeles and it became affiliated with the Assistance League of Southern California.
The Volunteer Center has been involved with the recruitment and placement of volunteers; the training of professional volunteer coordinators; and the development of formalized criteria for training and consulting services. It has worked with public, private and community groups in all areas of social service.
Scope and Content
The Volunteer Center of Los Angeles records consist of reports, minutes, pamphlets, surveys, correspondence, newsletters, and clippings, 1980-1986, that describe the day to day activities of this organization. Included are minutes of board and annual meetings, annual reports, and surveys of board member activities. These records document primarily the activities of the Volunteer Center of Los Angeles during the 1980s.
USC Libraries Special Collections
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles, California, 90089-0189
Conditions Governing Access
Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
The use of archival materials for on-site research does not constitute permission from the California Social Welfare Archives to publish them. Copyright has not been assigned to the California Social Welfare Archives, and the researcher is instructed to obtain permission from the copyright holder to quote from or publish manuscripts in the CSWA's collections.
Controlled Access Headings
- Los Angeles Voluntary Action Center. -- Archives
- Volunteer Center of Los Angeles. -- Archives
- Annual reports
- Surveys (documents)
- Los Angeles (Calif.)--Social conditions--Archival resources
- Voluntarism--California--Los Angeles--Archival resources
- Volunteers--California--Los Angeles--Archival resources
Administrative records, job descriptions, personnel, memorandums, correspondence, by-laws, surveys 1980-1983
United Way volunteer services study 1981-1983
Board and Annual Meeting minutes 1981-1986
Surveys and reports 1983
Corporate Volunteer Awards banquet 1983-1984
Annual reports, minutes, memorandums, evaluations, business plan 1984-1985
Minutes, reports, pamphlets 1985-1986