Finding aid for the Robert Sully papers
Table of Contents
Finding aid prepared by Sue Luftschein, 2014 March
- USC Libraries Special Collections
- Sully, Robert, 1918-
- Robert Sully papers
- Collection no.
- 4.42 Linear feet, 3 boxes
- Mixed materials [Box]
- Robert Sully was an actor and a designer. In addition to working for such well known firms as Raymond Loewy Associates, he also founded his own design firm, the Argonaut Company. He earned a Masters and Ph.D from Claremont Graduate School, and taught at UC Santa Barbara on advertising and culture. The papers include photographs, typescripts, interview transcripts, and letters for a planned photographic essay on concert artists.
[Box/folder# or item name], Robert Sully papers, Collection no. 1011, Special Collections, USC Libraries, University of Southern California
Robert Sully was born on November 20, 1918 in New York City. He was an actor, known for his roles in Meet Me in St. Louis (1944), Love Letters (1945) and The Heavenly Body (1944). After his acting career, Sully worked in the area of design. He owned Sully Engineering from 1944-1949; became an executive with Raymond Loewy Associates from 1951-1953; and worked as a designer at Daniel, Mann, Johnson & Mendenhall from 1953-1961. In 1961, he founded the Argonaut Company, specializing in design and planning for commercial, industrial and residential projects. He earned a Masters and Ph.D from Claremont Graduate School. After moving to Santa Barbara in 1992, he taught courses at UC Santa Barbara on advertising and culture. Sully died on May 15, 2007 in Santa Barbara.
Scope and Contents
Photographs, letters, interview transcripts, typescripts, and of musicians for a planned photographic essay on concert artists.
USC Libraries Special Collections
Doheny Memorial Library 206
3550 Trousdale Parkway
Los Angeles, California, 90089-0189
Conditions Governing Access
Advance notice required for access.
Conditions Governing Use
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Manuscripts Librarian. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.
Donated by Peter Williams, July 2, 2010.
Controlled Access Headings
- American Ballet Theatre. -- Photographs
- Negatives (photographic)
- Ashkenazy, Vladimir, 1937- -- Photographs
- Bennett, Tony, 1926- -- Photographs
- Kipnis, Igor -- Photographs
- Marceau, Marcel -- Photographs
- Menuhin, Yehudi, 1916-1999 -- Photographs
- Ormandy, Eugene, 1899-1985 -- Photographs
- Piatigorsky, Gregor, 1903-1976 -- Photographs
- Rampal, Jean-Pierre, 1922-2000 -- Photographs
- Rostropovich, Mstislav, 1927-2007 -- Photographs
- Rubinstein, Artur, 1887-1982 -- Photographs
- Segovia, Andrés, 1893-1987 -- Photographs
- Sills, Beverly -- Photographs
- Stern, Isaac, 1920-2001 -- Photographs
- Sully, Robert, 1918- -- Archives
- Sutherland, Joan, 1926-2010 -- Photographs
- Musicians--20th century--Archival resources
- Musicians--20th century--Photographs