University of Southern California
651 West 35th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90089-2571
Campus map code: LVL
Circulation (213) 740 4350
Administration (213) 740 0049
Information Commons (213) 740 7988
Reference (213) 740 7988
ITS Customer Support (213) 740 5555
Overview of Leavey Library
The Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Library provides a state-of-the-art learning environment for students and faculty at the University of Southern California. Leavey’s print and electronic collections, services, and technology are designed to facilitate coursework, studying, and research. Experts are available 24 hours a day to provide assistance with research and computing. Leavey’s technology-enhanced spaces support teaching and individual or group study—as well as film screenings, multimedia production and viewing, presentations, and videoconferencing.
Now at Leavey - pickup of Interlibrary Loan or items requested from the Grand Library
Beginning May 20, Leavey Library will replace the Doheny Memorial Library as a destination for items paged from Grand. The Science & Engineering Library will remain as an alternate destination for paged materials.
This switch will consolidate all items requested from Grand or via Interlibrary Loan in one location, and it will also make paged items available for pickup 24 hours per day.
New! - Group Study Room Reservations Online at libcal.usc.edu
Some of the features the new system offers are:
- You can reserve online any of the 14 collaborative study room spaces in Leavey Library
- You can quickly scan room availability to identify and book a space that meets your needs
- You can (as an individual) reserve a space for up to 2 hours for group use
- You can make reservations up to one week in advance
- Note: you must have a valid USC e-mail address to confirm your room booking. The group study rooms are intended for current student academic use only
You will be able to cancel a reservation remotely if you do not need the reservation
Leavey offers a core research and reference collection, a film library of more than 7000 DVDs, and a selection of the most requested academic journals, magazines, and newspapers. You can browse Leavey’s featured collections of plays, classic works of literature and philosophy, recent best-sellers, and new books. The USC Libraries also provide a wealth of online resources, including full-text journals, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and photographic databases at www.usc.edu/libraries/eresources.
Research and Computing Help
- Reference librarians provide individual research assistance at reference desks in the Information Commons and online 24/7 at www.usc.edu/askalibrarian.
- Reference and computing help is available 24 hours a day in the Information Commons during the fall and spring semesters.
- Consultants from the Writing Center are available to help with course papers in the Information Commons during the fall and spring semesters.
- Librarians teach a variety of classes about research basics and critical strategies for finding, evaluating, and using print and online information effectively.
Circulation Desk: Your USCard is also your library card. Present it at the circulation desk on the first floor to borrow or renew materials, and to obtain information about your account. You can also pay fines and report lost items or library cards.
Course Reserves: Undergraduate and graduate course reserves are available at the Leavey circulation desk. The USC Libraries’ online catalog HOMER shows a complete list of reserves materials arranged by professors’ names and course numbers. Electronic course reserves are available at www.usc.edu/libraries/course_reserves
Leavey Library is located on the northeast corner of campus (near the intersection of Jefferson Boulevard and Figueroa Street).
Closest campus entrance to Leavey Library is Gate #3 ((213) 740 3848), located at the intersection of West 35th Street and Figueroa Street, which is open 24 hours a day. Public parking is available for $10.00 Monday through Friday. Parking availability may change due to special events.
Please note: Only USC students, faculty, staff, and alumni and sponsored guests may be present in libraries open after 9:00 p.m. or before 7:00 a.m. All patrons will be asked to present their USCard or library-issued USC identification during these times. For more information, please see our Access and Borrowing Policies page.