The School of Social Work was founded in 1920 and a complementary library collection was started in the 1920s as well. In 1972, the library became a separate entity. It was called the Arlien Johnson Library in early 1980s to honor the school’s former dean. In 1998, the Social Work Library’s book and journal collections were integrated into the main book stacks in the Edward L. Doheny Jr. Memorial Library. A Social Work Information Center was established in place of the former library, enabling computer access for new generations of social work students. The social work librarian is housed in the Information Center to provide reference and research help for faculty and students.