This is an open air space in the center of the library which allows for 360° theater seating and accommodates informal meetings, lectures, and seminars. The unique and tranquil atrium environment combines the focused atmosphere of a classroom with the fresh air of the outdoors. The Atrium is available for use Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 6:00pm and Friday from 9:00am - 4:00pm or by special request. To reserve the Atrium, call 213-740-1769 and ask to speak with a staff member. The Atrium can accommodate up to 25 people.
Made possible through a generous gift from the USC School of International Relations, the Multimedia Learning Lab provides lecture, videoconferencing, and collaborative learning space that supports instruction as well as multimedia-based collaborative research.
Lab facilities offer the following:
A PC workstation and overhead projection system for online instruction using the Web.
Playback of video sources (DVDs, standard and foreign videos).
Self-service, point-to-point videoconferencing system available at no charge to USC faculty, staff, and students.
Four tables and twenty chairs that provide a flexible learning space for one-time classroom lectures, seminars, or special events.
Policies for Use of the Multimedia Lab:
- USC faculty, staff, and students who present a valid USC ID may reserve the Multimedia Lab on a first-come, first served basis.
- Due to the number of requests received each semester, the Multimedia Lab cannot be reserved by anyone outside of the USC Libraries as an alternative classroom space for regularly scheduled, on-going courses.
- The Multimedia Lab is locked at all times. Users must come to the library circulation desk to request that the space be opened. Users must inform a staff member at the circulation desk when they have finished using the Lab.
- Library faculty and staff can provide basic technical assistance in using the equipment. However, users should visit the Lab prior to their scheduled appointment to become familiar with the equipment and to let staff know how they would like the room to be arranged.
- If audio, visual, and other settings are adjusted for an event, please return everything to their original settings before leaving.
- Due to the limited availability of staff in the library, the Multimedia Lab is only available for use Monday - Thursday, 9:00am - 6:00pm, and Friday from 9:00am - 4:00pm. The Lab is not available for use on the weekends.
- Usage: One-time class meetings, course seminars, videoconferencing, and special events sponsored by USC faculty, staff, or student organizations.
- Capacity: 20 (class lecture/seminar); 15 (meetings/videoconferencing).
If you have any questions or would like to make a reservation to use the Lab, call 213-740-1769 and ask to speak with a staff member. For information about other spaces in the USC Libraries, go to: http://www.usc.edu/libraries/about/library_space/
VKC Library Entrance Lobby Exhibit
The VKC Library lobby exhibit space is available to any member of the USC community for display of materials which reflect the international and public affairs mission of the Von KleinSmid Center. Priority is given to exhibits that promote or can be directly tied to the VKC Library's collections, services, and programs. The exhibit space is located along the entire width of the wall opposite the stairway entrance to the library. The space is approximately 7 feet high x 32 feet wide, with two rows of 8 inch glass shelves extending the length of the display space.
Request to Display:
Anyone interested in using the exhibit space should first contact Dr. Robert Labaree in writing. Requests should be made at least four weeks in advance.
Please provide a minimum of two weeks cancellation notice so that another exhibit may be scheduled. Display space is available throughout the calendar year.
Requests are accommodated on a first-come/first-serve basis and subject to prior approval by the Head of the Library. When making the request, please include information about the topic of the exhibit.
An exhibit will be displayed for no more than three months. Extensions will be granted only if no other exhibit has been scheduled. However, should a request come in, an exhibit granted an extention would have to be removed immediately.
The space can accommodate more than one exhibit at a time but separate exhibits should be linked either thematically [e.g., women and globalization] or as part of a group exhibit sponsored by an organization or academic unit.
Use of the VKC Library for reception(s) held in conjunction with an exhibit requires permission from Sherry Mosley, Head of the VKC Library.
Installation and Removal:
Responsibility for setting up, maintaining, and dismantling exhibits is solely the responsibility of the exhibitor. The exhibitor will supply all materials needed for the exhibit. Installation must take place during normal library hours.
Groups and individuals using the exhibit areas are responsible for basic clean up and return of the space to good order.
Responsibility for Loss or Damage:
The display cases are locked. The cases, however, are glass. This places items in the cases at some risk of damage or theft. Therefore, irreplaceable items or items of great value should never be included in an exhibit.
Publicity is encouraged and the VKC Library will provide assistance placing notices of exhibits, with the consent of the exhibitor, in other libraries on campus and on the LibWire newsblog [http://dotsx.usc.edu/newsblog/]. If you wish for us to publicize your event in this way, please provide us with a short description of your exhibit. The VKC Library will not be responsible for contacting other campus, local, and regional media outlets.