How to Request Archival Materials
Use these directions to request archival materials using the Specialized Research Collections Request System, after you have created a request account.
Note: If the items you want to use do not have an online finding aid, please contact a Specialized Research Collections staff member first.
- Open a web browser and go to the USC Libraries Specialized Research Collections Contact Information home page.
- Click the link “Specialized Research Collections Request System.” You will be presented with two options: one for USC users and one for Other users. Choose the appropriate button and log in.
- From your account page select "Finding Aids" from the New Request section.
- Once you have determined which materials you would like to use, click the “Request materials from this collection” button in the upper left corner of the finding aid.
- You will then see a screen that asks you to login. If you are already logged in you will not need to do so again, simply click the login button.
- You will be taken to your account page where the finding aid will appear in the request form. Click on the headings to see the inventory of boxes. Click the items you wish to request.
- When you make the request, please provide the date you wish to consult the item(s); if you are making the request once you are in ONE Archives reading room, you do not need to choose a date.
- Click on the "Submit Request" button at the bottom of the screen to complete the request. Please note: some archival materials may take 1 to 4 weeks to retrieve.
- Once you have submitted a request you will see a message across the top of the screen that tells you the transaction number for that request and how many active requests you currently have. The limit is 25. You will also see all other items you have requested. Check back periodically to find out the status of your request.
Questions about making a request? Contact us!