To view the curricula
please visit the following
- Teacher Created Lesson Plans - Teachers have created their own lesson
plans based on the content presented in various COSEE-West programs.
Ocean observing systems, marine science, storm drain testing, weather,
climate, sea level rise, and squid are just a few of the topics covered!
- Teach Marine Bio Instead of Bio! - A complete course for high school students covering all California State Biology Standards.
- Formal Public Announcement of New Marine Biology Curriculum (PDF)
Consider this exciting proposal: a comprehensive biology course focusing on marine life to teach all the biology standards! Use marine biology as a hook to engage your students and have them excel on the state biology exam. Developed by Los Angeles area high school teachers who currently teach Biology and Marine Biology with support from COSEE-West. Lesson plans, labs, activities, games, puzzles, web interactives, movies with thought questions, web quests, etc. Some resources available in Spanish for ELL.
- Marine Biology Course - Suggestion for Organization
- UC Course approval to teach "Marine Biology Honors" as a life science requisite for graduation for grade 12
- UC Course approval to teach "Marine Biology" as a life science requisite for graduation for grades 9-12
- Student CST Biology and Life Science test scores after taking Marine Biology course
- The Matrix - an Excel file listing all the lessons and resources in the zip files below with their correlation with the CA high school biology science standards.
- Lessons, Resources, Videos, Powerpoints
- Cell Biology (128 MB) .zip | .sitx
- Genetics (93.3 MB) .zip | .sitx
- Ecology (190 MB) .zip | .sitx
- Evolution (127 MB) .zip | .sitx
- Physiology (227 MB) .zip | .sitx
- Other/Extra (888 KB) .zip | .sitx (This folder contains: CST Test Prep Plan, Latin & Greek words, English & Spanish marine words, Spanish vocabulary, blank concept chart, etc.)
- Marine Biology, Evolution and Science Resources
- Castro and Huber "Marine Biology" textbook-linked materials plus PowerPoints, labs, games, readings, student work samples, assessments…an entire year course for advanced HS students (seniors) and college students. http://goo.gl/LCTNaW
- Please contact Mark Friedman firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, suggestions or hopefully, materials you would like to upload to expand the site.
- Student produced bi-lingual (English/Spanish) videos on the 7 Ocean principles can be found at:
- And by going on www.youtube.com, You can search keywords such as "Ocean Principle Introduction", "La Introduccion de los Principios del Oceano", or the actual You Tube account name: "Ocean Literacy Principles."
- A new international Marine Biology Spanish resource website. Hosted by Pearson Publishers, it is partially complete (further additions forthcoming) and can be accessed at:
In case you don’t want to download all of the above lessons, you might want to just try a few of these out:
High School Lessons (from Marine Bio Course)
OceanGLOBE - Beach research project for Grades 4-12 students, field guides to marine organisms, classroom marine science activities for grades 4-12, ocean sciences PowerPoint slide shows.
Santa Monica Bay Observatory Teachers’ Portal - This web page now contains 3 lesson plans developed in 2005-‘06 by teachers participating in an outreach project funded by a National Science Foundation (USA) grant to UCLA researchers. The lesson plans, for middle and high school students, incorporate data collected by the Santa Monica Bay Observatory (SMBO), operated by UCLA. Lesson plans now being created by 2006-’07 participant-teachers will be posted in the summer of 2007. Links on this page access most of the data collected by SMBO and also will send the viewer to other relevant websites.
- Island Explorer Lesson Plans: http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/Education/IELessons/IELessons.html Grades 4th-6th Hands on marine science activities correlated with the California Science Framework focus on Southern California and Catalina Island coastal environs. Program can include a field trip to the USC Wrigley Marine Science Center on Catalina and other optional field activities.
- Island Explorer Parent Child Education Program: A short course for parent/child teams in marine and environmental science that focuses on the urban /ocean connection, geared toward students in 4th-6th grades and their parents. http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/Education/ParentChildEdu/ParentChildEd.html
The Santa Monica Bay Observatory (SMBO) is an element of the Southern California Coastal Ocean Observing System (SCCOOS). It consists currently of an oceanographic mooring located about 10 miles offshore within Santa Monica Bay, a shorebased station at the Santa Monica Pier, and observations taken bi-weekly from UCLA's oceanographic research vessel (SeaWorld UCLA). The data from this interdisciplinary project aims to document the physical, chemical, and biological variations in Santa Monica Bay, and most of the data collected by the various platforms are made available to the public through the SMBO website.
Teacher's Domain - Featuring public television content, Teachers' Domain provides multimedia classroom resources and professional development online multimedia courses to K-12 educators. Resources include video clips, graphics, lesson plans, and activities. A catalog of online courses is available.
Marine Science Field Trip Guide for Teachers (revised 11/07) (PDF)
Marine Science Video List(PDF)
Ocean Tube! Ocean Science Animations
- Los Angeles Environmental Learning Center at Hyperion ~ The City of Los Angeles created the Environmental Learning Center to teach children and adults about sustainable water and solid resources management. The 20,000-square foot facility is the stunning result of completely renovating the Hyperion Treatment Plant's former administration building into a leading center for environmental learning. Sustainable practices and learning experiences were built throughout the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold facility.
Home | Mission & Activities | Public Lecture Series | Workshops
Announcements | Resources | Partners | Curricula | Contact
© 2012 Copyright Cosee West
All Rights Reserved