"DOWN THE DRAIN"
SEQUENCE: For a better understanding of concepts, students should first have done "Eco Challenge"
How do wastes from your neighborhood end up on the beach?
We are all part of the biosphere. The wastes that we produce directly enter the ocean ecosystem through the storm drain system or indirectly via the sewage system. We need to be aware and responsible for what goes down the drain.
Students will be able to:
- Mark storm drains to help raise awareness of the debris problem
- Conceptualize a system whereby pollutants enter the environment
- Two 55 minute class periods
- Copy of map of the immediate area surrounding the school (preferably enlarged)
- Colored pens or markers
- Information door hangers
- 8 minute video "Make the Connection: An Educational Tour of Los Angeles" to order, please contact City of Los Angeles, Storm Water Management Division 231-847-6350