Office of Academic & International Fellowships
home | policy/probation | exceptional funding | study abroad | faq | resources | contact us


All responses apply to Stamps, Mork, Trustee and Presidential Scholars unless otherwise noted.

Additional Funding

Can my scholarship be extended beyond 8 semesters?
No, all scholarships are awarded for a maximum of 8 semesters or 10 semesters for Architecture students at the time of admission, contingent upon the satisfactory completion of renewal requirements. There is an opportunity to apply for additional funding for use during the 8 semesters of scholarship eligibility. Please refer to the Exceptional Funding page for detailed information.


How do I request Exceptional Funding?
Please visit the Exceptional Funding page for detailed information about the policy and process. Exceptional Funding is available only to Stamps, Mork, Trustee & Presidential scholars who entered the institution as freshmen.

I am a Presidential Scholar, can I upgrade my scholarship to another scholarship? No, Stamps, Mork, Trustee and Presidential Scholarships are granted by the Office of Admission specifically to freshmen. Selection criteria is based on academic excellence, leadership, and service during a student's tenure at their high school.

Go To:

Does your office provide other scholarships?
The Office of Academic & International Fellowships does not actively support other campus-based or local scholarships. If you are interested in international fellowships, please visit our fellowships website.

We also recommend talking to advisors in your major/minor department and visiting the Financial Aid website for scholarship resources.

Important policy:
*Learn more about combining scholarships and need-based aid by reviewing the full scholarship policy.



What kind of advisement does the Office of Academic & International Fellowships provide?
We advise students on issues directly related to their scholarship, including; GPA & unit requirements, scholarship probation, exceptional funding, Leave of Absence, and general policy issues.

Do you provide academic advisement?
Generally, no. For advisement on your major or minor, please contact your academic department. The Office of College Advising provides advisement for undeclared or undecided students as well as for the General Education requirement

How can I meet with an advisor in your office?
Schedule an appointment by emailing your availability M-F between 9-5 to You can also call to schedule an appointment; (213)740-9116.


Will auditing a course effect my scholarship?
Yes, it can. Grades or unit credits are not earned in courses which are audited. The Financial Aid Office will not factor the unearned course units into the units required per academic year to renew your scholarship. If you are in good scholarship standing, you are at risk of scholarship probation if you earn under the unit requirement. If you are on scholarship probation, your scholarship will be cancelled. Please note, units earned during the summer term are not counted toward the unit requirement.

Additionally, to receive your scholarship funds each semester, you must be enrolled in a full-time schedule (12 or more units for credit). If your are enrolled in 12 units including an audited course, which is not for credit, you will receive a bill for the semester's tuition. The scholarship does not pay for audited units.



My scholarship hasn't yet been applied and the bill is due immediately. What is going on?

1) Are you currently enrolled in at least 12 units for credit? The scholarship only credits your bill at 12 or more units.
2) If you are enrolled in 12 or more units, please contact our office immediately: (213) 740-9116, STU 300.


Leave of Absence

Can I take a Leave of Absence?
Yes, but you must first clear it with your academic advisor. Once your academic advisor has approved your request, please bring a copy of the completed form to the Office of Academic & International Fellowships in STU 300. Our office will then notify the Financial Aid Office of your intention in order to protect your remaining scholarship eligibility.

When you are ready to return, notify the Office of Academic & International Fellowships in writing one semester in advance.

Keep in mind:
*If you enroll at another institution during your Leave of Absence, you will lose one semester of scholarship eligibility for every 16 units (or full-time equivalent) earned.


Pass/No Pass

Can I take classes for pass/no pass?

Yes, but you should consult with your academic advisor before enrolling in any course on a pass/no pass basis. A "pass" grade will not alter your gpa and the units will count toward the units required per academic (fall/spring) year. However, keep in mind that you will not receive unit credit for a course with a grade of "no pass."



Can you help with registering for classes that are full?

We do not offer assistance with registering for full classes. Talk to your academic advisor to check out your options. Work with the professor to see if there is a wait list and explain your situation.

Do Mork, Trustee & Presidential Scholars receive priority registration?

There is no priority registration for scholars. Registration dates are assigned based on the number of units you have earned. This is addressed briefly on the Registrar's website (see "Most Commonly Asked Questions" section, question #2):


Scholarship Renewal

What do I need to do in order to renew my scholarship each academic year?
Please review the policy here.



I am a graduating senior, can I take a reduced course load in my final semester at USC?
Yes, if you are in good academic standing (not under scholarship probation), there are two possibilites:
1. Enrollment in 12-15 units: Formal approval not required.
2. Enrollment in under 12 units (less than full-time): Advanced approval is required from our office. Please contact our staff for approval and additional information.

Please note, audited courses are not covered during reduced course load semesters.


Tuition Insurance

Does tuition insurance protect my scholarship?
We recommend you carefully consider this elective insurance. It may help protect your scholarship for future terms in case of serious illness or accident. Please contact the Financial Aid office for more information regarding this insurance.


Academic Honors and Fellowships
Student Union (STU) 300
(213) 740-9116