I. Goran is a Professor of Preventive Medicine and Physiology &
What kind of research
do you conduct?
Our group conducts clinical research to
understand the causes and consequences of increased obesity
and type 2 diabetes in children, and uses this information
to design intervention studies for prevention.
a typical semester, how many undergraduates do you work
with? What kind of research activities do the undergraduate
I typically work with two to three undergrads. Depending
on the project, specific needs and interests of the student,
research activities could include the following:
1. Assist investigators with administering questionnaires
and data collection in school based intervention studies for
promoting physical activity and decreasing obesity.
2. Assist investigators with coordinating data collection in
clinical research studies based at County Hospital. This
could involve assisting with exercise testing, administering
questionnaires, preparing tubes for sample collection.
3. Assist investigators with literature searches to prepare
for grant and manuscript development.
4. Assist investigators with recruiting subjects to research
What are some
of your recent undergraduate projects?
Current students are working on the
1. Developing a review of the use of drugs for treatment and
prevention of type 2 diabetes in children and adolescents.
2. Assisting in classrooms with collecting data (e.g.
height, weight, questionnaires) for a school based
intervention study designed to increase physical activity.
out more about Dr. Goran and his research, please