WiSE Fellows Present their Work at the 2010 Undergraduate Symposium for Scholarly and Creative Work
The Undergraduate Symposium for Scholarly and Creative Work provides undergraduates with the unique opportunity to exhibit and share examples of their significant research and creativity with the university community. The 12th Annual USC Undergraduate Symposium was held on Wednesday April 14, 2010, and featured student exhibits in five categories of arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, and physical sciences, math & engineering.
Among the presentations were several recipients of WiSE Undergraduate Research Fellowships including:
- Betsi (Elizabeth) Crow '11 (Biological Sciences),
- Nadia El-Fakih '10 (Biochemistry),
- Rebecca Gibbs '10 (Biological Science & Neuroscience),
- Paulina Gonzalez '11 (Biology),
- Negar Kahen '11 (Biological Sciences),
- Lesley Petrie '10 (Earth Sciences),
- Jasmine Thum '12 (Biomedical Engineering), and
- Zhiqi Yip '11 (Biochemistry).
Students present work in a variety of ways -- poster/panel sessions, art exhibits and electronic media. Panels of distinguished faculty judge submissions and award $1,000 first prizes and $500 second prizes in each of five categories along with first and second prizes for interdisciplinary work. An awards ceremony recognizing the most outstanding projects takes place at the end of each symposium.
The following received awards at this year's Symposium:
- Rebecca Gibbs '10 (Biological Science & Neuroscience): Second Prize, Life Sciences
- Negar Kahen '11 (Biological Sciences): Honorable Mention, Life Sciences
- Jasmine Thum '12 (Biomedical Engineering): Honorable Mention, Life Sciences
- Lesley Petrie '10 (Earth Sciences), Honorable Mention, Physical Sciences & Engineering
The WiSE Program congratulates the 2009-10 WiSE Undergraduate Fellows in the USC College and the Viterbi School of Engineering on their excellent presentations!
- USC Women in Science and Engineering
- 1042 Downey Way, DRB 140*
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-1111
- (213) 740-0996
- (213) 821-5252
*The WiSE Suite is located in DRB 232.