Eligibility: Any doctoral student, postdoctoral fellow, or faculty member in good standing in a WiSE-eligible department who has primary childcare responsibilities for a child in the infant through pre-school age range may apply. Proof of dependency relationship will be required. Applicants must demonstrate a strong justification for how receipt of funds will serve to increase the representation of women in science and engineering.
Application Process: Applications (and renewals) must be completed and submitted via the online system accessed on the WiSE website. A complete application should include:
- Personal statement describing the applicant's current research status and how receipt of the WiSE Child Care Grant will facilitate increased productivity.
- Letter of recommendation by the applicant’s primary faculty advisor or mentor indicating that they are in good standing and have demonstrated a strong need, and providing a clear WiSE-justification statement that indicates how the grant will increase the representation of women in science and engineering.
- Copy of Proof of the dependency relationship (i.e. birth certificate).
- An e-mail statement from the applicant's Department Chair sent to the WiSE Program Office at email@example.com explaining how the subsidy will increase the representation of women in science and engineering.
- Copy of the facility’s state license.
- Proof of enrollment.
Review: Applications will be reviewed on a semester to semester basis. After eligibility has been confirmed, applications will be evaluated based on the strengths of the WiSE eligibility statement, the strengths of the letters of support, and on the applicants perceived need.
Funding: The award will be paid out in a single lump sum grant, typically during the second month of the semester.
Guidelines for Renewal: Renewal applications must be submitted by the Child Care Program’s established deadlines of October 1, February 1, and June 1. Applicants applying to renew their grants must submit a new application and, in addition to all other required materials, must include in their personal statement (1) an explanation of their continued need and (2) a statement that outlines how receipt of the grant has enabled their research and/or degree progress to advance. Awards are made based on the availability of funds and the applicant's ability to meet the necessary eligibility criteria. .
- USC Women in Science and Engineering
- 1042 Downey Way, DRB 140*
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-1111
- (213) 740-0996
- (213) 821-5252
*The WiSE Suite is located in DRB 232.
In this Section
Grants and Awards
- New Faculty Recruitment
- Support for Facilitating Diversity in Faculty Searches
- Major Support for Current Faculty
- Lloyd Armstrong, Jr. Endowed Chair
- Supplemental Faculty Support
- Faculty Bridge Funding
- Support for Faculty Pregnancy, Childbirth and Adoption
- Child Care Subsidy
Postdocs and PhD Students
- Postdoctoral Support
- Merit Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research
- Fellowship Support to Accommodate Pregnancy, Birth of a Child, and Adoption for Ph.D. Students and Postdoctoral Scholars
- Child Care Subsidy
- Graduate Top-off Fellowship
- Merit Fellowship for Current Doctoral Students
- Travel Grants