Eligibility: Any doctoral student, postdoctoral fellow or faculty member in good standing in a WiSE-eligible department who has primary childcare responsibilities for a child in the infant through pre-school age range may apply. Proof of dependency relationship will be required. Applicants must demonstrate a strong justification for how receipt of funds will serve to increase the representation of women in science and engineering.
Application Process: Applications must be completed and submitted via the online system of the WiSE website. A complete application should include:
- Personal statement describing the applicant's current research status and how receipt of the WiSE childcare subsidy will facilitate increased productivity.
- Copy of Proof of the dependency relationship (i.e. birth certificate)
- An e-mail statement from the applicant's Department Chair sent to the WiSE Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org explaining how the subsidy will increase the representation of women in science and engineering.
- Indication of the child's acceptance in to the USC Childcare Program and anticipated start date/duration of care.
Review: Applications will be reviewed to determine if the child is currently enrolled or scheduled for placement in the USC Child Care Programs, UPC facility. The award is subject to acceptance into the USC Child Care Programs and availability of space in the appropriate age category. There is no application deadline.
Funding: The award will be paid directly to the USC Child Care Programs as partial payment of cost of service. Applicant will be responsible for the balance of the cost. While USC students are exempt from this rule, faculty and staff will be taxed for this subsidy. If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact the University's Payroll Services Office at (213) 740-8855 or email@example.com. The $4000 award will cover a 12-month period and will be divided and applied as a monthly subsidy. Repeat applicants following expiration of the one-year subsidy period should contact the WiSE office to discuss the process for renewal.
Guidelines for Renewal: There is no deadline for application to the WiSE Childcare Subsidy program and awards are made based on the availability of funds and the applicant's ability to meet the necessary eligibility criteria. Repeat applicants may request renewal of their subsidy, but renewal is not automatic and is not guaranteed beyond the initial one-year award. As demand for the subsidy increases and a limited number of awards are available in a given year, preference will be given to those applicants who have not previously received an award.
Repeat applicants to the WiSE Childcare Subsidy program following expiration of a one-year award are required to provide a statement that outlines how receipt of the subsidy has enabled their research and/or degree progress. They must also provide verification of their child's continuing enrollment in the USC Childcare program.
- USC Women in Science and Engineering
- 1042 Downey Way, DRB 140*
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-1111
- (213) 740-0996
- (213) 821-5252
*The WiSE Suite is located in DRB 232.
In this Section
Grants and Awards
- New Faculty Recruitment
- Support for Facilitating Diversity in Faculty Searches
- Major Support for Current Faculty
- Lloyd Armstrong, Jr. Endowed Chair
- Supplemental Faculty Support
- Faculty Bridge Funding
- Support for Faculty Pregnancy, Childbirth and Adoption
- Child Care Subsidy
Postdocs and PhD Students
- Postdoctoral Support
- Merit Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research
- Fellowship Support to Accommodate Pregnancy, Birth of a Child, and Adoption for Ph.D. Students and Postdoctoral Scholars
- Child Care Subsidy
- Graduate Top-off Fellowship
- Merit Fellowship for Current Doctoral Students
- Travel Grants