Undergraduate Research Experience
Deadlines: September 1, December 1 and April 1.
(In the event that a deadline falls upon a weekend or a university holiday, that deadline will move to the first workday following the posted date.)
Award Amount: WiSE Fellows will receive $500 per semester to participate in the WiSE Research Programming Series. WiSE Researchers will receive a $3,000 grant the semester in which they conduct their research, $500 during each of the Fall and Spring Semesters for participation in the WiSE Research Programming Series, and $500 in advisor support.
Directions: Submit online application.
Students involved in the WiSE Undergraduate Research Experience have the opportunity to choose from two levels of participation:
- The first level aims to introduce students early in their academic career to research within the University. “WiSE Fellows” will submit an application describing their interests and objectives in participating in the program. Once accepted, they will receive a small stipend of $500 per semester and will commit to attending a variety of programming opportunities aimed especially at demystifying the research process, assisting students in locating appropriate mentors given their research interests, highlighting undergraduate research funding opportunities at USC, and locating appropriate Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs). The goal of this program is to introduce undergraduates to the experience of conducting research within the academe and to assist them in forging mentoring relationships. Applications are due September 1 for the Fall semester and December 1 for the Spring semester.
- More senior students may opt to participate as “WiSE Researchers.” In this more comprehensive level of participation, students who have an established working relationship with a faculty mentor will submit a research project proposal. If awarded, the student will commit to participating in WiSE programming efforts throughout the academic year, while also receiving more substantial funding to conduct research based on the submitted project proposal. WiSE Researchers will be expected to conduct most of their research efforts during the summer, but other arrangements are possible. The mentors of WiSE Researchers will continue to receive a small grant to support expenses related to their students’ work. The goal of this program is to provide undergraduates with first-hand experience in laboratory based research. It is hoped that through the experience of first-hand research at the undergraduate level, the chances will increase that students will choose to pursue a graduate degree in science or engineering. Applications are due April 1.
Viterbi School of Engineering
- Student Application Guidelines
- Faculty Application Guidelines
- USC Women in Science and Engineering
- 1042 Downey Way, DRB 140*
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-1111
- (213) 740-0996
- (213) 821-5252
*The WiSE Suite is located in DRB 232.
In this Section
Grants and Awards
- New Faculty Recruitment
- Support for Facilitating Diversity in Faculty Searches
- Major Support for Current Faculty
- Lloyd Armstrong, Jr. Endowed Chair
- Supplemental Faculty Support
- Faculty Bridge Funding
- Support for Faculty Pregnancy, Childbirth and Adoption
- Child Care Subsidy
Postdocs and PhD Students
- Postdoctoral Support
- Merit Award for Excellence in Postdoctoral Research
- Fellowship Support to Accommodate Pregnancy, Birth of a Child, and Adoption for Ph.D. Students and Postdoctoral Scholars
- Child Care Subsidy
- Graduate Top-off Fellowship
- Merit Fellowship for Current Doctoral Students
- Travel Grants