Guidelines for Submission
Updated July 31, 2015
Step 1 - Before You Defend
Finalize your committee
- Download the Appointment/Change of Committee form.
- Complete this form well in advance of your defense date, as it requires the signature of the school dean, department chair, and committee members. At the time of submission to Thesis Center, all applicable fields on the form must be complete and current.
- Save a PDF of your Appointment/Change of Committee form.
Create a profile in Thesis Center
- Click the Login button below to create a Thesis Center profile.
- After clicking "Register", a verification email will be sent. Click the link to verify the registration. This will activate your Thesis Center profile.
- Fill out the "New Manuscript Submission Profile" in Thesis Center with your information.
- Fill out the Committee Information section. Refer to your Appointment/Change of Committee form. The form and the Committee Information section must match.
- Click "Create".
- Upload a PDF of the Appointment/Change of Committee form to Thesis Center.
**Ph.D. students only**: Complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates (SED). You are only required to complete the first section. Save a PDF of the completion certificate. The survey is available here: https://sed.norc.org/doctorate/showRegister.do
Step 2 - Generate the Approval to Submit Form
Beginning 24 hours before your defense, you may go to the Checklist page in Thesis Center to generate the electronic Approval to Submit form. Your action will prompt Thesis Center to send an email containing a link to the form to all of your committee members.
Your committee members must indicate their approval by the Checklist Submission Deadline.
Step 3 - Defend Your Dissertation or Thesis
- Defend your dissertation or thesis, and make any changes to your manuscript that your committee requires.
- Monitor the progress of the electronic Approval to Submit form through the Checklist page of your Thesis Center profile.
NOTE: No further changes to the manuscript are allowed, with the exception of revisions to the formatting required by the Thesis Coordinator.
Step 4 - Complete the Checklist
In order for you to submit your thesis or dissertation, the following items must be complete on the Checklist page in Thesis Center by the Checklist Submission Deadline:
- A PDF of the completed Appointment/Change of Committee form.
- All committee members must have indicated their approval on the Approval to Submit form.
- PhD students only: a PDF of the completion certificate from the Survey of Earned Doctorates (SED).
Once the expected term of degree conferral has commenced, the Thesis Coordinator will verify the Checklist. Normally, this takes 2-3 business days.
After verification, you will receive an email confirmation that the manuscript may be uploaded. The subject will read: "Upload Thesis/Dissertation to USC Graduate School".
NOTE: submissions made past the deadline will not be processed until the beginning of the following semester.
Step 5 - Submit Your Manuscript
- In the Submissions page of the Thesis Center profile, upload a single PDF file of the manuscript that was approved by your committee. Be sure to upload by the Upload Deadline. This deadline pertains to the initial upload of the manuscript.
- Confirmation of your submission will be sent to the email address you've entered in Thesis Center. The subject will read: "Manuscript Received".
- At this time, the manuscript processing fee will be applied to your student fee bill. The fee is $115 for doctoral students and $105 for master's students.
- The Thesis Coordinator will review the manuscript for format and presentation and, should any changes be required, send a notification email. Normally this takes place within 3 weeks during peak submission times and sooner during off-peak times. The subject of the notification email will read: "Formatting Changes Available."
Step 6 - Make Formatting Changes
- If you receive an email with the subject "Formatting Changes Available", follow the instructions in the email and return to the Submissions page in Thesis Center to view the corrections listed there.
- Address the corrections, and upload the revised manuscript to the Submissions Page as a single PDF.
- The Thesis Coordinator will review the manuscript for format and presentation and send a notification email, should any additional changes be required.
- After all corrections have been addressed, an email confirmation will be sent.
Step 7 - Finalize Publishing Information
Monitor your email for a message from the USC Digital Library. You will confirm the thesis or dissertation publishing information with the USC Digital Library. At this point, you will be able to upload any necessary supplemental media files to accompany the PDF thesis or dissertation manuscript. This is the final step required for degree conferral.
The degree will normally be officially posted within one month.