Audition Dates and Policies
Fall 2013 Admission
USC Thornton applicants are strongly encouraged to audition live on campus rather than via recording (where permitted). Typically for live auditions, certain instruments are scheduled on Saturday and other instruments are scheduled on Sunday. Specific determinations regarding this are not made until audition scheduling begins after the prescreening review is complete. Therefore, it is recommended that applicants planning to audition live in Los Angeles keep their schedule open for the full weekend until their audition appointment is confirmed. For programs auditioning on more than one weekend, scheduling preference is given to undergraduate applicants for the first weekend and graduate applicants for the second weekend.
BECAUSE OF THE PRESCREEN REQUIREMENT FOR MOST THORNTON PROGRAMS, PLEASE DO NOT MAKE TRAVEL PLANS OR PURCHASE TICKETS UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION THAT YOUR AUDITION HAS BEEN SCHEDULED.
2013 audition dates are as follows:
- January 26 & 27, 2013: All programs except Keyboard Collaborative Arts
- January 28, 2013: Strings only (continuation from January 26 & 27)
- February 2, 2013: Artist Diploma Only (tentative)
- February 8-9, 2013: Keyboard Collaborative Arts only
- February 9 & 10, 2013: Choral (undergraduate), Piano, Popular Music, Strings, Vocal Arts
- February 11, 2013: Strings only (continuation from February 9 & 10)
- February 16 & 17, 2013: In the event that auditions fill up for classical Piano, Vocal Arts and Popular Music, additional audition times will be scheduled for this weekend, however appointments are assigned for the previous two dates before this final weekend is opened.
Applicants are urged to carefully review audition requirements for their particular major in the application requirements section of this Website. Applicants who indicate in the Thornton Supplementary Application that they plan to perform an audition in Los Angeles will automatically be scheduled for an audition appointment until the schedule is full. Some exceptions to this standard procedure are listed below. Email confirmation of the audition appointment will be issued to the applicant at the email address provided in the application from the Thornton admission office once it is scheduled.
Recorded auditions (where applicable): For applicants wishing to audition with a recording rather than a live audition, your recording must be received by the Thornton Admission Office by January 18th, 2013. Applicants auditioning for programs that require a pre-screen review are still required to send a pre-screen recording by December 1. The applicant may use the pre-screen recording for the audition (as long as the pre-screen recording also contains the live audition repertoire requirements) or submit a second recording by the January 18th deadline as desired.
Please also note the following policies which affect many Thornton programs.
- Some Choral and Sacred Music applicants, based on review of the required audition tape, will be invited by the faculty to perform an audition in Los Angeles. These auditions will not be held on the regular Los Angeles audition dates, but will take place on dates to be arranged at the time of invitation.
- Auditions are not automatically scheduled for Organ applicants. Applicants are encouraged to contact the organ department at (213) 740-7703 to make arrangements for the required audition.
- All Popular Music applicants who pass the prescreen review are required to perform a live audition in Los Angeles.
- DMA applicants who pass the prescreen review are required to perform a live audition in Los Angeles. Similarly, all Vocal Arts applicants applying for a Graduate Certificate are required to perform a live audition in Los Angeles.
Undergraduate Theory Test
Undergraduate applicants are required to complete a theory test while on campus for a live audition. This test is diagnostic in nature and is not used to determine admissibility. The test will measure proficiency in basic theory and aural skills. Students are given up to 60 minutes to complete the test.
Audition confirmation comes via EMAIL ONLY. Please do NOT make travel plans or reservations for a Thornton audition until you have received this email confirmation. Students traveling to Los Angeles for an audition may wish to make reservations at the following facility:
Radisson Hotel Los Angeles Midtown at USC
Rooms include complimentary continental breakfast, computer dataport and complimentary high speed internet, in room safe box, refrigerator (all rooms), 24-hour business center, fully equipped 24-hour fitness facility, heated outdoor pool and jacuzzi.
Spring 2013 Admission
Applicants for the spring semester of 2013 must make arrangements for an audition by directly contacting the department of their major. Applicants must contact the appropriate department by October 10 to make arrangements. For contact information of various Thornton departments click here.
Last updated: July 15, 2012