Change of Major (Undergrad only)
This section is for current USC students wishing to transfer into a Thornton undergraduate major, including current Thornton students wishing to switch majors or degrees. All required materials for Fall admission must be received by December 1. All required materials for Spring admission must be received by October 1. Please note that these are received deadlines, NOT postmark deadlines.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The following programs do not accept applications for spring semester entrance:
- Choral Music
- Jazz Studies
- Popular Music
- Print out the application (CLICK HERE) and return it directly to the Thornton Admission Office.
- Include a Resume, a Repertoire List, and a Statement of Objectives (where appropriate) with the Thornton Supplemental Application.
- Determine the specific Application Requirements for your chosen program, including prescreen recordings, compositions, or lyric sheets where appropriate.
- Bring all application materials directly to the Thornton School Admission Office.
- If you are submitting a recording (prescreen or otherwise) to us, using a permanent marker, please label the actual CD/DVD itself with the following information (the case that the CD/DVD comes in will be removed during processing):
- First and Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Program to which you are applying (e.g., BM Oboe)
- Year you are applying for (e.g., Fall 2010)
- If you are applying for multiple programs, the required materials for each program must be clearly marked as to which program each item is for. This applies to all required materials, including pre-screen recordings for performance programs and scores for composition.
- Perform an Audition- If you pass your department’s prescreen round, you will automatically be scheduled for an audition date. You will be notified of your prescreen results/audition date and time by email.
Questions? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 740-8986 or (800) 872-2213.