Search Our Site
Office for Parent Programs
University of Southern California
3601 Trousdale Parkway, Student Union #200
Los Angeles, CA 90089
213-740-2080 | Fax:
Your Personal USC Connection
Vincent E. Vigil, Ed.D.
USC is proud to be a national leader in student services for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) students. The LGBT Resource Center and Office for Parent Programs announce the LGBT Pride Parent Circle, its newest parent group, to provide a support network for LGBT students’ families and LGBT identified parents. For additional information, please email email@example.com or call (213) 740-7619.
The LGBT Resource Center provides support, education, and advocacy for LGBT and supportive ally students and the center assists with their personal development of their sexuality and gender identity/expression through various programs/services. If you are a parent or family member that has concerns or questions about your student’s development, review the resources below to help in understanding the coming out process for your student.
You can also contact the LGBT Resource Center if you are simply anxious about the recent change in your student’s life - moving away from home and starting college. The center has access to a number of Los Angeles resources for parents and families like PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) and sponsors an annual event for Trojan Family Weekend.
Click Here for the LGBT Pride Parent Circle Interest Form
- Welcome Back BBQ – Sunday, August 25 at 4 pm in Alumni Park
- Movie Night – Friday, August 30 at 8 pm in E.F. Hutton Park
- National Coming Out Day / OUTlist is Daily Trojan – Friday, October 11
- Second Chance Prom – April, 2014
- Generation Queer Emerging Leadership Retreat – April (nomination process), 2014
- Lavender Celebration – Sunday, May 4 at 4 pm in Argue Plaza
For a complete list of events, click here.
Suggested USC LGBT Links for First Year Students:
Parents & Family Downloadable Brochures:
- Family Acceptance Project - Supportive Families, Healthy Children: Helping Families with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Children (Spanish Version)
- Family Acceptance Project - Family Acceptance in Adolescence and the Health of LGBT Young Adults
- Family Acceptance Project Brochures for Parents and Families
Parents & Family Resource Links:
Articles & Books for Parents & Families:
- Aizumi, M. (2012). Two spirits, one heart: a son's journey and a mother's love. New York, NY: Magnus Books. (visit: http://marshaaizumi.com/twospiritsoneheart.html)
- Biblarz, T. J., & Stacey, J. (2010, February). How Does the Gender of Parents Matter. Journal of Marriage and Family, 72, 3-22.
- Biblarz, T. J., & Stacey, J. (2010, February). Ideal Families and Social Science Ideals. Journal of Marriage and Family, 72, 41-44.
- Goldberg, A. E. (2010, February). Studying Complex Families in Context. Journal of Marriage and Family, 72, 29-34.
- Strohschein, L. (2010, February). Generating Heat or Light? The Challenge of Social Address Variables. Journal of Marriage and Family, 72, 23-28.
- Tasker, F. (2010, February). Same-Sex Parenting and Child Development: Reviewing the Contribution of Parental Gender? Journal of Marriage and Family, 72, 35-40.
Please use this form to send us any question(s) you may have, and we will find the answer and promptly give you a response. Please be sure your email address is typed correctly and complete.