Search Our Site
Office for Parent Programs
University of Southern California
3601 Trousdale Parkway, Student Union #200
Los Angeles, CA 90089
213-740-2080 | Fax:
Dear Trojan Parents,
|Beth Saul, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs|
Welcome to the Trojan Family! We are happy you are utilizing this website as a resource at USC. We encourage you to check it often because we are constantly updating it! Since the Office for Parent Programs was established nearly 11 years ago, it has been our pleasure to support USC parents and provide opportunities for you to be involved in the university.
We want you to know about and experience all of the extraordinary opportunities that the Office for Parent Programs provides for Trojan parents/families. With your participation, you will be supporting the university and your students, as well as enjoying events that better connect parents with the university.
During the 2013-14 academic year, the Office for Parent Programs will offer:
- A Speaker Series for parents to stay current about exciting programs, issues and developments at the university. These will be held in September, November, January and March.
- Trojan Family Weekend, October 24-27, 2013—our biggest event, expecting several thousand parents and family members—hopefully you!!! In July, look for the brochure in the mail or check out the information online at www.usc.edu/parent.
- A Basketball Event to include a delicious pre-game meal, a performance by the Trojan Marching Band and tickets to attend the game.
- Cultural events featuring either the Thornton School of Music and/or the School of Dramatic Arts.
- The Steven B. Sample Teaching and Mentoring Awards Initiative in partnership with the Provost’s Office. The nominations process begins with you, the parents. Nominations forms are online at www.usc.edu/parent and can be submitted in hard copy by fax (213.740.9781), mail or by scanning it and emailing. We encourage you to participate in the nomination process throughout the year and nominate each and every one of your student’s outstanding faculty members.
- Committee and general volunteer involvement opportunities--through completing the volunteer interest forms posted on our website (www.usc.edu/parent), the office will coordinate parent volunteers who have indicated their willingness to participate on specific projects and plan parent events.
- Additional volunteer opportunities include welcoming new Trojan parents during orientation and Move-In Day, selling merchandise at orientations, various volunteer assignments during Trojan Family Weekend and Homecoming and other events that come up during the coming year. There will also be opportunities to assist in the Office for Parent Programs at peak times when an extra pair of hands will really be appreciated.
Throughout the year, we will cultivate a spirit of volunteerism and Trojan Family that will reflect the lifelong and worldwide network that Trojan parents are an important part of. The Trojan parent volunteer forms are accessible on the Office for Parent Programs website, www.usc.edu/parent. We encourage you to stay engaged with the Office for Parent Programs and the university as your time permits.
At the end of the 2013-14 year, we will hold a volunteer recognition event for those who have invested their time and talent to enhance the University of Southern California. The Office for Parent Programs will also work in partnership with many other offices in the university to bring Trojan parents the most updated information possible through our monthly e-blasts, and we will show our pride in Trojan accomplishments through the Trojan Parent Perspective newsletter which is now electronic.
The Office for Parent Programs has begun to be included in the recruitment of admitted students at student/parent events this spring and we hope to meet you for the first time at one of these lunches or dinners. We will play a significant role in the international onsite orientation of new students and parents, welcome new Trojan parents at every orientation with a presentation on resources and programs and inform new Trojan parents that they are welcomed as volunteers and as continued partners in the success of their students at USC. Parents make a big difference!
|The Office for Parent Programs staff (l-r): Beth Saul, Tina Orkin, Maria Riley and Lily Ball|
All of your involvement begins with the Office for Parent Programs and contacting us through our website (www.usc.edu/parent) or calling us at 213.740.2080. We will respond to every call and email. We will also coordinate all events, make all appointments, administer any needed ad hoc committees related to parent involvement, and of course, continue to provide support and resources for Trojan parents. We project a dynamic year ahead of involvement and Trojan friendship.
The staff of the Office for Parent Programs, Tina Orkin (Associate Director), Maria Riley (Assistant Director), Lily Ball (Program Assistant), and I look forward to seeing you often and contributing to the overall success of your students and the university!
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Director for Parent Programs and Fraternity and Sorority Leadership Development
Please use this form to send us any question(s) you may have, and we will find the answer and promptly give you a response. Please be sure your email address is typed correctly and complete.