Sanjit K. Mitra
Expert in signal and image processing, as well as the perceptual quality of digital video
Stephen and Etta Varra Professor
Contact at: (213) 740-2358 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- digital image and video processing
- the perceptual quality of digital video
- digital signal processing
- mixed analog-digital signal processing
- Has served IEEE in various capacities, including service as the president of the IEEE Circuits & Systems Society in 1986, and has held visiting appointments in Australia, Austria, Finland, Germany, India, Japan, Norway, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
- Recipient of the 1973 F.E. Terman Award; the 1985 AT&T Foundation Award of the American Society of Engineering Education; the 1989 Education Award; the 2000 Mac Van Valkenburg Society Award; the Golden Jubilee Medal of the IEEE Circuits & Systems Society; the Distinguished Senior U.S. Scientist Award from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation of Germany in 1989; the 1996 Technical Achievement Award; the 2001 Society Award; the 2006 Education Award of the IEEE Signal Processing Society; the IEEE Millennium Medal in 2000; the McGraw-Hill/Jacob Millman Award of the IEEE Education Society in 2001; the 2002 Technical Achievement Award of the European Association for Signal Processing (EURASIP); the 2005 SPIE Technology Achievement Award of the International Society for Optical Engineers; the University Medal of the Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovakia, in 2005; and the 2006 James H. Mulligan, Jr. Education Medal of the IEEE
- Co-recipient of the 2000 Blumlein-Browne-Willans Premium of the Institution of Electrical Engineers (London) and the 2001 IEEE Transactions on Circuits & Systems for Video Technology Best Paper Award
- Recipient of honorary doctorate degrees from the Tampere University of Technology, Finland, and the Technical University of Bucharest, Romania.
- Honorary Professor of the Northern Jiaotong University, Beijing, China, and the Technical University of Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Member of the U.S. National Academy of Engineering; member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences; member of EURASIP; an Academician of the Academy of Finland; a corresponding member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts; and a corresponding member of the Academy of Engineering, Mexico
- Fellow of the IEEE, AAAS and SPIE