Staying informed and prepared is vital in any emergency. USC is here for you to provide answers during a crisis, so we’ve compiled the most timely and relevant questions in one spot. Be aware of your surroundings – know what to do in an emergency.
TrojansAlert is a university-wide emergency notification system that allows USC officials to contact you during an emergency by sending messages via text message and email.
During a campus emergency TrojansAlert will provide you the most up-to-date source of reliable information.
- Sound the alarm or yell “Fire!”
- Call DPS.
- Evacuate the building. Use the stairs. Do not use the elevator.
- Call DPS.
- Do not move the victim unless there is immediate danger of further injury.
- For off-campus emergencies, call 911.
- Help others move to safety.
- Do not use elevators and check if anyone is trapped inside.
- Shut down hazardous equipment.
- Run. Escape the area.
- Hide (“Shelter in place”): Block doors and windows, turn off lights and silence phones.
- Fight, if cornered.
- Ask: Am I in immediate danger?
- Stop, listen and observe where the danger is coming from.
- Watch for TrojansAlert messages.
- Drop: avoid falling objects.
- Cover: get under a sturdy table.
- Hold: Hold on to the table for stability.